Friday, June 24, 2016

Seeing a Chiropractor During Pregnancy

I moved to a new state halfway through my second pregnancy.  With my first I needed a c-section so finding a provider who would be supportive of a VBAC was tops on my list when interviewing providers.  During a long question-and-answer session I had upon meeting the provider whom I ultimately chose, I was referred to a chiropractor.  The referral came across as really more of a "must."  Not that I had to, but that it would basically be silly not to.

Lets be honest, I'm really giving my all towards achieving a VBAC.  So I didn't need a whole lot of convincing.  But what really sealed the deal on my decision was this: 

During our talk, I of course shared my previous birth story (induction, followed by a c-section, due to malposition, after 2 hours of pushing), but didn't mention that every time my cervix was checked, the previous midwives would always tell me my daughter was "floating."  While talking things through, I shared that I was very concerned with the idea that I would be able to go into labor this time, as last time I went to 42 weeks and was then induced.  This care provider's immediate response was, "Well I think you never went into labor last time because of your daughter's position.  I think she was always in a poor position, keeping her from pressing down on your cervix, which is what gets labor started.  If you were to see a chiropractor this time, I think we would avoid that altogether."


You could have knocked me over with a feather! 

First of all, I was more than impressed with her knowing that about my daughter's position without my saying so.  (I was ready to commit to her care right there and then.) 
Second of all, I was more than un-impressed with my last group for not mentioning the help a chiropractor could have been to me, or even intimating that I should really be trying to get my baby to press down on my cervix to get labor going. 

And third of all, after hearing that I was ready to drive to the chiropractor that very instant!  (There is nothing I'd like more than to go into labor on my own this time!  Seeing as how if I don't it means an automatic c-section for me, I was definitely going to give this a try!) 

I was also told that seeing a chiropractor has been known to not only take away pregnancy aches and pains, but decrease labor and pushing times. 

I was introduced to a mother, there in the office, who had dramatically different results in her last pregnancy compared to that of her first two.  She said her "normal" hip pain was non existent this time, and her labor was half as long as usual, with only a few minutes of pushing this time as compared to a couple hours for her previous births! 

Original Article Source:   Seeing a Chiropractor During Pregnancy

No comments:

Post a Comment